In spite of the inclusion of the three leading smartphones namely the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S III and Nokia Lumia 920, comparisons were not yet that reliable before the launch of the iPhone 5 since the specifications of the said iOS smart phone are still based on rumours. The speculations about the features of iPhone 5 were as reliable as facts but people saying that those information cannot be relied upon with the official statements from the Apple themselves may have a reason for saying so.
But after Apple's presentation of the iPhone 5, last September 12, the battle of the smartphones can now begin! In this article, we will layout the important aspects and discuss how each of these smart phones are faring in the competition:
- iPhone 5 – iOS 6
- Samsung Galaxy SIII – Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Nokia 920 – Windows 8
The iPhone 5 will come out already updated with the latest of Apple's iOS. The iOS 6 boasts of several new features among which are the smarter Siri, Facebook integration, real GPS navigation, 3D maps, panorama camera feature, and much more. The Samsung Galaxy S III at the moment is powered by the Android 4 but the Android 4.1 update is expected to arrive this October. The Nokia has eventually caught up when it comes to these amazing operating systems with the Windows 8 which may give consumers some disorientation especially to those who got used to the previous Nokia phones' interface but this new operating system will certainly prove itself to be very functional and modern. Users will certainly appreciate it after getting used to the said Windows phone operating system.
- iPhone 5: 4.87 x 2.31 x .31 inches, 3.95 ounces
- Samsung Galaxy S III: 5.37 x 2.77 x .33 inches, 4.69 ounces
- Nokia Lumia 920: 5.11 x 2.76 x .42 inches, 6.52 ounces
Most smartphones in the market are created with bigger sizes compared to the traditional mobile phones to accommodate the necessary components that will carry the amazing features of the smart phone. However, iPhone 5 has managed to keep itself small and light enough that it can be conveniently manipulated by one hand, in spite of the wide array of amazing features.
Unique camera features
- iPhone 5 – Built in panorama mode
- Samsung Galaxy S III – quick press burst shot mode
- Nokia Lumia 920 – optical image stabilization
Further to these camera specifications, both the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S III has an 8 megapixel rear camera but Nokia Lumia 920 has a higher megapixel for its rear camera at 8.7.
- iPhone 5: 4 inches diagonal screen size, 1136 x 640 pixels, 326 ppi pixel density
- Samsung Galaxy S III: 4.8 inches diagonal screen size, 1280 x 720 pixels, 306 ppi pixel density
- Nokia Lumia 920: 4.5 inches diagonal screen size, 1280 x 768 pixels, 332 ppi pixel density
While a screen size of larger than 4 inches is already standard among the leading smartphones that are already circulating in the market for quite some time, iPhone 5 has caught up just this Wednesday with a 4 inch screen size. It may still be way smaller compared to its fierce competitors but consumers should not underestimate its screen size considering that its retina display has an amazing 326 pixel density.
- iPhone 5 – 16 Gb, 32 Gb, 64 Gb
- Samsung Galaxy S III – 16 Gb, 32 Gb, with micro SD expansion slot
- Nokia Lumia 920 – 32 Gb plus 7Gb SkyDrive cloud storage